Friday, May 03, 2013

Picking Cherries

So I finally caved and joined an online card class – late as ever (is it still “late” when its always? Isn't it just Jody time by now?) cos I joined two days after it started but so far so good!

The class is called His & Hers and the basic concept is to inspire feminine and masculine versions of cards with a common link.

Spectacular

Neither of these cards bear much resemblance to any of the designs explored in the videos I have watched so far but I have cherry picked a number of elements that came together to form these beauties.

One thing discussed so far is how the design can become his or hers just by changing the colour scheme. I found these two papers in my leftovers and they coordinated perfectly with another tidbit I picked up – hearts for girls and stars for boys. This is by no means a hard and fast rule but again its a simple element to change about a design that can completely alter the feel.

Also earlier in the day I had seen this card by Debby Hughes, utilising a SSS die that is very popular and an “on the edge” technique that has enticed me for quite a while. I don’t own that die so Robocop got a dusting off and cut my choice of word, the specs, the star & the heart out.

The white panel is foam mounted and the specs and element are simply glued down. The BIRTHDAY is from The Crafts Meow Typically Teen stamp set – I chopped the HAPPY off and stamped it in SU Real Red & Pacific Point then daubed the mini elements with the same ink.

If any fellow students are reading this and are wondering; I made a conscious decision to keep the same font, and the same shaped frames – although I did toy with Dame Edna style frames for a little while! – and to use black on the frames. I guess I wanted to change the minimum amount of elements to prove (or disprove) the theory – do you think I did?

2 comments:

  1. Really great cards. I think your experiment worked!! :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fab! Love that you did not change too much for each to be masculine or feminine.

    ReplyDelete