Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vintage Melting

I've spoken before about the incredibly talented Cathe Holden , she really does look at the world in a unique way! She mentioned on her blog some time ago that she had discovered you could apply dark t-shirt transfers to leather, which she proceeded to do with a belt among other things. This got me wondering if would work on fake leather (don't they call it pleather?) so I purchased a cheap 2011 diary from Hootys and proceeded to make it look like a vintage book! The important word here is vintage cos I actually made a few boo boos (like accidentally touching the transfer directly with the hot iron shhh! don't tell my mom!!) but as I'd used an image of a damaged book cover, and decided to keep the damaged bits in instead of cropping them off, it actually adds to the effect... I'm really quite chuffed with how the spine turned out too, I cut n pasted a piece of the damaged edge and then copied n flipped it to make both edges of the spine damaged. I also added the recipients name to the design to personalise it & his name and '2011' to the spine.

4 comments:

  1. You are a clever girl. This does look very vintage and I really did laugh about the iron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks proper ace, I'm so chuffed with it! Lets hope he doesn't put this in the dishwasher n trash it like he did with last years present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this worked on fake leather (vinyl) without melting the vinyl? What I want to do is take a book cover image (I'd scan it from a dust jacket) and transfer it to a pre-made, purchased Kindle e-reader cover (I'm looking at one in saddle brown). I'm trying to find a leather one, but they are more expensive and it might be worth practicing on a book/diary like you bought, before I actually try on the Kindle cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello 'unknown' obv I can't reply to u directly so I hope u come back here.. erm, yeah i just applied the transfer direct to the vinyl. I will warn u its really easy to damage the transfer, fairly sure it melted slightly in places so I'm not sure its the way to go if you want a perfect finish (but as my image was rough anyway it didnt matter for me) but I think its worth a go, I'm all for customising everything in sight!!

    ReplyDelete